Are you a residential or commercial lighting design house, a lighting distributor, supplier, or manufacturer looking for an edge over your competition?
The outsourcing to China of lighting materials, components and finished goods is a very specific niche industry that requires your outsourcing partner has the product knowledge and competencies in the lighting industry needed to ensure your success. Like all outsourcing, you’ll need a partner you can trust to promote and protect your best interests, yet you also need one that is familiar with the safety regulations and industry standards for lighting.
With more than twenty years of electronics and product safety experience in the lighting industry, our team at Trans-Pacific Facilitators is happy to provide the following list of top questions to ask your lighting manufacturer to ensure you’re selecting the company best suited for your needs.
Top Questions to Ask Your Lighting Manufacturer in China
1. What types of products do you generally make? There are many types of manufacturers that specialize in everything from heavy machinery to plastic molded items, chemicals to electronics, tools to mechanical devices – to name just a few. Lighting is a very specific industry with very strict safety and environmental regulations, be sure the company you select has experience in this field.
2. Are you familiar with the quality control standards for my industry and the type of quality control testing that will need to be done? A manufacturer who is familiar with the lighting industry as well as with working with the materials you plan on using will know the effective shortcuts that don’t compromise quality. It is very important that they also be familiar with quality control standards such as UL, ETL, CE, TUV and other product approvals.
3. What types of processes and materials do you most commonly use? It is important to know the answer to this question and the varying levels of expertise the company has with different materials. Perhaps your product uses a variety of materials; experience in this area will be key. You can also ask for samples of materials to help you in your decision making process.
4. What is your minimum production run? You may not have the funds or need for a large production run, especially in the early stages of development. On the contrary, if you’re looking to continue bringing your product to the market without any hiccups, is the company able to meet your current demand schedule? Is the manufacturer willing and able to adapt to changing needs as you begin ramping up your marketing and sales. Can they meet demand?
5. How will you charge for samples? Good quality samples are important in the initial process of selecting and manufacturer. How will the company provide them, how many, and at what cost?
6. Do you produce packaging and at what cost? What type of packaging do they recommend for your lighting project? Be sure to figure the cost of packaging into your total manufacturing costs, and be sure to obtain samples of packaging as well. In the lighting industry, packaging is not only important as a marketing tool, but as a way to protect an often fragile product. It is important to take both aspects into consideration.
7. What are your payment terms? In most cases, new relationships start with payment up front. In some cases, payment terms are offered. Your sourcing company will be able to help you negotiate favorable terms to suit your needs.
Do you have a lighting project that you’d like to outsource to China? Do you need help determining the best manufacturer for your specific application? Why not call our experts at Trans-Pacific today to learn more about our experience and services?
One Piece of Very Valuable Advice on Lighting Manufacturers in China
In an industry such as lighting, where materials and applications are very specific, it is imperative to work with a manufacturer that understands the testing and safety approval needed for this industry. Not all manufacturers in China are capable of complying with these standards. It is imperative that you set your goals and procedural requirements from the beginning and that you have on-site support in China to ensure projects remain on task and under the original outlined guidelines.
Our team of engineers at Trans-Pacific Facilitators has more than two decades of experience in electronics and product safety to ensure compliance and save you money. If you’re seeking UL, ETL, CE, TUV or other product safety approvals, let our team of experts be your guide in China.
Call our team at Trans-Pacific today to get started and to learn the many benefits to outsourcing your lighting project to China.